Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Chapter Two - Cambridge et al

Ok, I have a bit more time now. Although I can't remember exactly where I left off. Oh well. Wandered through Cambridge around 120,000 people plus 18,000 students. It was exam time so I presume a little quiet mind you there seemed to be one bloke down by the river shouting out your favourite word Shields, repeatedly.

It's a lovely city, but not fun to drive in with all the push bikes everywhere. Had the best ever Indian food. It was at least 200% better than any Indian I've ever had and there is a sample of it on the postcard on route to 13 Best St - if Customs don't pull it up.

King's Chapel was closed as they were recording a cd in there - bastards. Had a chat with a cab driver who recommended a town called Ely on the outskirts of Cambridge, decided to go there as a first little wander in the car. I think now is a good time to point out I have only done the wipers/indicators thig about 3 times.

Beautiful cathedral at Ely but I won't bore with cathedral descriptions or I could be writing about them all day long. (Maybe I should create a seperate cathedral blog? No Simon's right, there are other more important websites to work on)

Left Ely for Kegworth on the outskirts of Derby and Nottigham for the night. It was an insane drive on the motorway (I've only just discovered the speed limit yesterday) I liken it to Boxing Day on the Pacific Highway but you are driving hungover. It seems it was just a friday arvo thig though and the motorways thin out north of Leeds.

Kegworth was ugly but a flash hotel and I had my own room so enjoyed it immensly. Next morig we set off for Lyme Park aka Pemberly from Pride and Predjudice. It really is a beautiful home. I've seen a few over the past coule of weeks and it is right up there even without the p&p link. Did I go up to the lake that darcy dives into? I don't want to talk about it. I'll just say it invlolved a bad map, 45 minutes wandering aimlessly in the woods and 3 hours past lunch. No, I didn't find it. We had to be on the other side of the country by dark.

Going up to and coming away from Lyme Park we went through the Peak District which was lovely. Very cold and barren though and not as big as I thought. I unfortunately didn't see much. It was a bit ike driving on the Great Ocean Road - if you are the driver and look at the view you'll end up down a cliff face.

Which brings me to York.. we are here for one week staying in a cottage in a village outside the city called Newton on Ouse. There is a lovely estate house called Beningbrough Hall which we checked out yesty. Nice but nothing on Lyme Park. After paying £7 entry everywhere I joined the National trust so I can get in for free to most properties across the country.

Wnet for a stroll through the pub on Sunday and popped into the local. I'd gone in the day before to ask directions to the cottage. Ran into the couple who own the cottage and proceeded to get a bit pissy with them and stumbled home and went to bed.

I'll be coming into York everyday this week for some down time and there are heaps of really good museums around too. Must be off now, have a luncheon appointment.

No comments: