Monday, April 25, 2005

I'm baaack....

Apologies to one and all for the delay - I#ve been copping it for not posting for a few days. Heaps has happened and I only have twenty minutes at the moment so no dilly dallying around.

Last Wednesday was huuuuge. It was my last ful day in London so went down Regent St and Piccadilly for a 'quick stroll' in the morning, ended up walking through Green Park and saw a commotion on the other side which turned out to be Bucks Palace and the changing of the guard. Stood there like a fool with the camera and took pics wondering what the big deal with Libby is and also why I was taking part in it. Got over that and walked back to the apartment, then went to the Nat Archives/Public Records Office which was very impressive, ugly building but they have a couple of documents stored there in relation to the short history of Britain.

After Nat Arch the mother and I went to Kew Gardens which ws fantastic, we only had two hours before it shut so we power walked through the huge conservatories, past the (sorry Chris) many squirrels and through the millions of bulbs other meadowy british looking plant things.

I was a complete wreck and decided to prioritise my sanity and general well being over going down the road to post to the blog. Thursday morning went for a final wander through the city before heading up to Cambridge for the night. Some may know my distinct lack of ability to drive a manual car and I was a bit limited in types of cars available so it was either going to be a mercedes kompressor or some kind of family wagon thing. We rocked up to the hire place and the guy was showing me the ins and outs of some non descript medium size family car when (I am a very alert person) I pointed out that the car seemed to have a gear stick. He shitted hinmself for around 2 minutes - no other car available, then he turned a paler colour and said, 'we'll have to give you the Daimler' which turns out to be some $100,000 plus Jaguar that's as big and long as a road train. It was then my turn to go a little paler. One tiny scratch and around 450 miles later we have made it to York.

I'm out of time so will pick up from Cambridge tomorrow (you're all on holiday today anyway so it doesn't matter. Byeeeee!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All this talk of squirrels is reminding me of my good friend sCoup (like iPod) at the ABC in Wagga. As I recall, when he came to visit with me and the other Shands he could talk of little else. Which reminds me ... move over sexy Shands, for the cute Keenans are in town (Gannans included). They seem to be having a wonderful time. Wish I had a Daimler, but then being sexy doesn't put dollars in the bank. Perhaps I can hit my new step dad for a loan?

Anonymous said...

Old bag
Most amusing commentary on the trip. I must tell mum to go to the bank and buy a few tickets for o/s with me and the bloke as her guides. Sounds the way to travel.

All is well here, we have the artist nephew from Perth staying, he arrived sunday night and quickly took over the stereo, lounge and coffee table. I gave him a blast yesterday after he woke me in my afternoon snooze for the second time and he's now giving us some space back. could be an interesting stay though. couper saw 4 koalas - mongrel.

It's true we miss you but we want you to stay away and keep having a wonderful time without us for as long as you want you scrunt.

xx
lucky 13 best
ps the new commandant is our new next door neighbour she has beagles to eat that grey cat!

Ness said...

Poor Shields, I hoe you aren't on earlies. That's great that the new commandent's next door. You can work from home and get interviews over the garden fence.

I'm sure life will settle down. There is always a spare bedroom up the road if you need a nap!


Thanks for your comments sCoup. When I was in the audience for the rice is right I met someone with a name like that....

The sexy Shands send their love, but say they'd rather be called the Parker - Bowles or 'Park and Bowlers'

Ness said...

I mean Price is Right, when on the Rice is Right a won a brand new Rice Cooker