Well its the last full day in Bordeaux, tomorrow is a tour around Graves and Sauterne and Saturday we head to Cahors on the train. My plan today is to have some lunch and a wine or two then do the museums here. There is one that after much deliberation I have chosen not to visit, Vinorama which boasts 75 wax figures that tell the story of the history of wine in Bordeaux. Thats a pretty comprehensive interpretation with 75 figures.
Im now at a point where I am trying to work out how to incorporate my afternoon consumption of wine into the working day when I return. Would it really be so bad to pull a bottle out from under the desk at around half past one? And then again around three pm? I think my friendly greetings to visitors would make up for the glazed over eyes.
Yesterdays task was to buy a cd of a good French band. Had a big chat with the guy at the music store who told me French music is crap, its either pop or accordians. He recommended a few cds and I bought one which by his description seemed like it would be good. Took it back to the apartment and I now agree with him. French music is crap.
The first person I asked at the counter was trying to make me stick around as a famous French band was coming that afternoon and apparently they are a French version of No Doubt. No doubt they were, but not my cup of tea. (boom boom tish)
Meals always seem to be an adventure, no matter how much you pay. You have no idea what the food will be like or the wine. Ive had some fantastic expensive and cheap meals and also some disastrous expensive and cheap meals. But no matter how bad the service or the wine you can always have a laugh about how bad it is. Last night was one of those. The mother and I went out for dinner and she ordered the Red Mullet w Green sauce (the sauce never was green by the way) and I ordered it as well.
She came out later and put the dish in front of me and an empty plate in front of the mother so it was a bit of a light meal last night. We ordered a dry white and got riesling. The creme brulee though (so I was told, trying to go easy on the desserts) was the best ever according to the mother and she would know. It has been the dessert of choice since being in France, actually since being overseas. Oh, and at home too. It seems (now listen closely Tim and Alison) the secret is a shallow and wide terracotta dish, not the stout little white ones we have at home. More brulee, less creme. "But how was the mullet Vanessa?" I hear you say. Not too shabby, over cooked but still quite nice, it was the vegetables, julienne style that stole the show for me. Lots of oil and garlic. Tres nice.
Alrighty, Im feeling adventurous and Ill have a crack at putting some pics up now. Im not sure if I can navigate through french computers so Bon Chance to me.
Thursday, May 19, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment